Long term health conditions
Making sure home is a safe space is important for everyone, especially if you have a long-term health condition.
If you have:
- physical or mental health conditions
- challenges with mobility, hearing or eyesight
- and need support due to drug or alcohol dependency
a free Safe and Well Home visit from Kent Fire and Rescue Service can help to make your home a safer place. From fitting smoke alarms to kitchen safety, our friendly team are here to offer advice and support.
To arrange a visit for yourself or someone else, go to our Book a Safe and Well visit page, which has all the information you need.
Our Safe and Well Team will not only help to identify and advise on potential fire risks in your home, they can also help with safety concerns relating to long-term health problems including helping you to
- request a regular review of your medication from your pharmacist or GP – especially if you are on five or more prescriptions
- take extra care if you use emollient creams. Emollients are flammable, so it’s important to ensure they are kept away from naked flames and heat sources, and that fabrics are washed daily at high temperature to remove them from clothing and bedding
- keep warm in the winter
- avoid clutter in your home which helps to reduce slip, trips and falls. Too much clutter can also add to confusion, and act as potential fire hazards
- never use personal oxygen near a naked flame, including all forms of smoking and e-cigarettes, gas and electric cookers