Kent Fire and Rescue Service responded to reports of a fire in a large, three-storey detached property in Furnace Lane, Cowden.
KFRS' Emergency Control Centre was alerted to the incident shortly after 5.36pm and two fire engines were sent, one from Kent, the second from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.
When firefighters arrived, all the occupants were accounted for and crews found the first floor of the property smoke logged. The fire is believed to have been the result of an electrical fault.
Wearing breathing apparatus crews used a hose reel jet, dry powder extinguisher and thermal imaging camera to tackle the fire. They cleared smoke and fumes from the house with a special fan.
After extinguishing the fire, they isolated the electrical supply before spending time cutting away and checking for hot spots with a thermal imaging camera. They left the property shortly after 7pm.