Bathroom fire at Port Lympne Hotel and Reserve
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to Port Lympne Hotel and Reserve in Hythe, to reports of a small fire in an outdoor bathroom attached to guest accommodation. Two fire engines attended and crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet.
There were no reported injuries and the fire is believed to have started accidentally after a candle was left unattended.
Firefighters are now reminding the public to take care when enjoying candles, by following these top tips:
- Candles should be fitted in a proper candle holder and placed on a flat, non-flammable surface.
- They shouldn't be left unattended when burning, especially with young children or pets around.
- Make sure candles aren't burning close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants which might catch fire.
- Be sure not place burning candles on window sills or on the floor.
- Extinguish candles before going to bed.
Location of incident
Port Lympne Hotel and Reserve, Aldington Road, Lympne, Hythe CT21