Disposable barbecue sparks fire in Gravesend
Kent Fire and Rescue Service is issuing important barbecue safety advice following a fire in a Gravesend garden.
Two fire engines were sent to the fire on Scott Road, and crews used hose reel jets to extinguish the blaze, which had spread to garden decking and a wooden bench. No casualties were reported and the fire is believed to have spread from a disposable barbecue.
Following the fire, crews are reminding everyone to only light barbecues on a steady, non-flammable surface, and ensure they are kept well away from any property, trees, fences and garden furniture. Disposable barbecues retain heat for a long time, so you should always ensure it has fully cooled before binning or leaving it unattended.