Whether living in halls of residence or private accommodation, starting student life can often mean living on your own for the first time.
Here are our steps to being a fire safe student:
- Lap top, tablet, phone, hair straighteners - you'll have a number of electrical gadgets that need charging/power. Remember to unplug them when they're not in use, and when they are , avoid overloading plug sockets.
Take a minute to check the hob/oven/grill is clean and clear before you start cooking. Hinching (cleaning) may not be a top priority, but your safety is, so spend a few minutes to clean the area to reduce the chance of a fire starting. Keep it clear of clutter too, like tea towels and food packaging.
Cooking after drinking alcohol is a really bad idea. Grab a bite to eat on your way home, or opt for a snack that doesn't need cooking.
If you smoke, be sure to head outside to do so rather than covering up any smoke detectors to smoke indoors. Smoke alarms are there to alert you to a fire and if it's covered you're putting your life, and your house mates' lives, at risk. Once you're done, make sure your cigarette is fully stubbed out.
If there is ever a fire, get out, stay out and call 999. If it's safe to do so, close doors as you leave the property. Once outside, don't go back in until you're told it's safe to do so.