Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a kitchen fire in a domestic property on Wayfield Road in Chatham. Two fire engines were sent to the scene and crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. No casualties were reported and the fire is believed to have started accidentally after a chip pan was left cooking unattended on the hob.
Following the incident, firefighters are urging the public to take extra care in the kitchen and to never leave cooking unattended. You can help prevent a kitchen fire in your own home by following some simple tips:
• Keep an eye on your cooking and remember to switch off your cooker if you have to leave the room
• Avoid storing or placing household items on your cooker or stove
• Keep your cooker, grill and oven clean to avoid a build-up of grease or fat that could start a fire
• Keep children and pets well away from your cooking area
• Fit a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home and test it weekly to ensure it provides early warning in the event of a fire