Sunlight reflecting off mirror sparks fire in Edenbridge
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a domestic property fire on Five Fields Lane in Edenbridge. Two fire engines were in attendance and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used hose reel jets to tackle the blaze, before clearing the property of smoke with a PPV fan. All occupants were outside on arrival and no casualties were reported. The fire is believed to have started accidentally after sunlight reflected from a bedroom mirror onto a window frame.
Following the incident, crews are advising the public to ensure all mirrors and reflective objects such as crystal and glass ornaments, are kept out of direct sunlight, to reduce the risk of a fire.
Five Fields Lane