Chimney fire in Canterbury
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a chimney fire in a property on Church Lane in Canterbury. Two fire engines were sent to the scene, and crews arrived to smoke issuing from the chimney and first floor window. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used ladders, chimney gear and a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire, before fully ventilating the property. No casualties were reported, and the cause is believed to be accidental.
Following the incident, crews are urging anyone with a chimney, woodburner or other real-flame appliance, to ensure you regularly have it swept and maintained. Whatever fuel you burn, it is important that the chimney is kept clean and that you avoid allowing soot, ash, or debris to build up.