Firefighters rescue people from Rochester
Kent Fire and Rescue Service attended a fire in Fairway Close, Rochester this afternoon. A male occupant was alerted to the fire after a smoke alarm sounded, he went to investigate and discovered the tumble dryer was alight. After closing the door on the fire, he phoned 999 and got his elderly dad out of the property. A neighbour also went into the property to help another family member out to safety.
Three fire engines and about 14 firefighters were sent to the house and crews in breathing apparatus went in and carried a woman in her late 60’s and her daughter to safety. Both women and the elderly dad were taken to hospital by ambulance suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.
The fire destroyed half of the ground floor of the house and crews also had to ventilate two neighbouring properties that were smoke logged.
A Red Cross Vehicle is also at the scene providing practical and emotional support to the residents.