Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a house fire in Rose Avenue, Gravesend. Two fire engines attended and upon arrival the occupants were outside and the smoke alarm was sounding. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire in an upstairs bedroom, which is believed to have started accidentally after a candle on a shelf caught fire to nearby combustible materials, such as paper and plastic. The two occupants were checked over by SECAmb paramedics for smoke inhalation as a precaution, and KFRS' Volunteer Response Team attended to provide post incident support.
Following this fire, crews are urging residents to take care when using candles, and to take note of these top tips to enjoy candles safely:
• Candles should be fitted in a candle holder, placed on a non-flammable surface.
• They shouldn't be left unattended when burning, especially with young children or pets in the house.
• Make sure candles aren't burning close to curtains, bedding, clothing or even plants which might catch fire.
• Extinguish all candles before going to bed.
• Burning candles shouldn't be placed anywhere where they might be knocked over or caught in a draught.
• Be sure not allow anything to fall into the molten wax as this can form a secondary wick.
• It's best not to move candles when they are alight or while the wax is molten.
• Consider using LED candles instead of real candles.