Sunlight through binoculars causes flat fire in Folkestone
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a flat in Risborough Lane, Folkestone, after it's believed a beam of sunlight set fire to curtains through a pair of binoculars.
Three fire engines attended and crews wore breathing apparatus while using hose reel jets to extinguish the flames.
No casualties were reported.
It’s thought the blaze was caused when sunlight from a skylight window shone into the lens of a pair of binoculars and onto nearby curtains, which caused them to catch alight.
Following the incident, firefighters are advising people to ensure all mirrors and reflective objects, such as crystal and glass ornaments, are kept out of direct sunlight, to reduce the risk of a fire.