Kitchen fire in Rochester
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to reports of a kitchen fire on Gordon Road in Rochester. Two fire engines were sent to the scene and crews arrived to a fire on the ground floor of the property. Crews wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire. One person received treatment for burns before being passed into the care of South East Coast Ambulance paramedics. The cause is believed to be accidental due to a chip pan that was left unattended.
Following the incident, crews would like to remind the public to take extra care and avoid using an open chip pan, as hot oil can overheat and ignite very easily. In the event of a fire involving oil, never attempt to put it out with water. The advice is to turn off the heat if it is safe to do so, get out of the property immediately, closing the doors behind you, and call 999.