Roof fire in Lynsted near Sittingbourne
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in the roof of a property in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted near Sittingbourne. On arrival crews were faced with a well developed fire in the roof of a semi-detached family home. Crews worked hard to tackle the fire and to prevent it from spreading using hose reel jets and a fog spike. Crews also used a height vehicle to gain perspective of the fire and to support inspection of the roof structure. Firefighters were able to rescue two pet dogs from the property. There were no reported injuries. KFRS Volunteer Response Team and the Red Cross Volunteers were called to help the family with emotion and welfare support. The roof suffered severe fire damage while the rest of the property suffered extensive smoke, heat and water damage. It is believed the fire was started due to a discarded cigarette in the garden, which set fire to dry contents that spread to a log pile, fencing and then to the wooden exterior of the kitchen before making its way to the roof space. It is thought to have been accidental. The alarm was raised by the neighbour who could see the fire in the roof.
Firefighters are urging people who smoke to always fully extinguish their cigarettes in ashtrays and to never just thrown them away - especially into the garden. For further support and advice around smoking - please visit our website or call our Home Safety team on 0800 923 7000.
Special and Support vehicles