General fire safety
- Always keep bonfires away from buildings, fields, dry grass and woodstacks.
- Keep a torch to hand in case of a power cut – they’re much safer than candles.
- If you do use candles, always use a secure holder or candle stick.
- Be sure your barbecue is safely burnt out before leaving it – or moving it.
Open or real fires
- Clean chimneys regularly.
- Only use seasoned wood or dry coal.
- Use a fire guard and close the doors of woodburners when leaving a room.
- People now regularly release Chinese lanterns and set off fireworks - not just at 'traditional' British times of celebration. If you notice any signs of them in the air, keep a regular eye on your roof and check it for signs of smouldering.
- Buy a spark guard for your chimney to prevent large embers from blowing up from the grate and onto the roof.
- The older your property is, the more likely it is to be at risk from electrical fires. For more information contact a licensed and registered electrician.
If you do have an emergency
- Call us on 999 - but fires spread quickly and every bit of help you can give us when you call will make a real difference.
- Be very clear about why there is an emergency.
- Be as specific as possible about how many people are at risk.
- Give good directions to the fire and describe any useful landmarks, for example: "You'll pass the post office on your left and you need to turn left down an unmarked road 400 yards later..."
- Tell us of any house name as well as the numbers - every bit of information can help.
- Stand outside to meet the fire engine. Wave to make it clear to the driver the site of the fire, using a torch if it's dark.
Fire hydrants are covered by a plate in the road and marked by a post at the roadside.
Help keep your community safe – let us know about:
- Damaged/missing and covered hydrant covers, posts and indicator plates
- Visible leaks coming from fire hydrants or the water network
- Illegal use and interference with hydrants
- Parking around hydrants - it’s an offence to obstruct a fire hydrant
- Open water - please notify or update us regarding any new or existing large water sources (such as swimming pools) in your area
Call us on 01622 692121 extension 2391 or email email@example.com